|College & University Information|
Parents: Take the SAT Challenge!
I keep a box of tissues on the table where I tutor because, as an SAT tutor and college application consultant, I listen to high school juniors and seniors who are so overwhelmed by college pressure that they begin to cry. Not just girls. Not just Ivy League aspirants.
High school students are always convinced their parents don't understand them. This time the students are right. Parents don't understand because the college admission process is so much more competitive than it was when most parents applied to college.
These are the ten things I wish I could tell parents:
1. I am convinced that parents have to walk a mile in the student's moccasins to gain some appreciation for the stress the students are under and to reverse the tension at home. If parents will take an SAT practice test they will feel some of the same anxiety, cringe at their results, and discover that the test is hard. Instead of piling 25 pounds of SAT study books on the desk, parents can commiserate with students over missed problems. Parents and students can become allies rather than adversaries as they face the college admission process.
2. Hire SAT prep tutors who focus on the applicable academic material rather than just the tricks. Increasing a student's academic preparation for the test in addition to teaching the tricks increases their confidence on the test and in the classroom; teaching only the tricks makes students more insecure because they are relying on tricks rather than on actual knowledge.
3. Have the tutors keep the parents informed about each session so that the parent tracks progress with the tutor rather than pestering the student for information.
4. Have the student try the ACT. All colleges accept it and some students do better on it than on the SAT.
5. Make learning fun. For example, have the students memorize vocabulary using the book Vocabulary Cartoons by Sam Burchers, et al. Also, have the student do the crossword and other word puzzles in SAT Vocabulary Express, the fun book of word puzzles that will increase SAT scores. I wrote it with Michael Ashley, a nationally known puzzler, so that our students would learn to play with words, an important skill for the new SAT.
6. Emphasize getting good grades rather than good SAT scores. Bs in honors classes are better than As in regular classes.
7. Hire an independent college counselor who will work with the family to create a realistic college list, brainstorm for essay topics, establish deadlines for the student, and check all college applications. High school college counselors are overworked and do not have the time to walk families through the process.
8. Realize that the schools parents attended may not be within reach for their child. The number of high school students planning to attend college has increased dramatically; the student may be well qualified for a particular college and may still not get in.
9. Look for colleges where the student will thrive academically and socially. Choosing colleges based on their name recognition and prestige value is a formula that will increase stress, not decrease it. Everyone else wants to go to those schools, too, making them even harder to get into; they are not necessarily the best place for the student. Loren Pope's book, Colleges That Change Lives, is a good place to start.
10. Support your child through a difficult process. Leave the prodding, nagging, and yelling to the tutors and college counselor. The independent college counselor will tell the student to work harder so the parent doesn't have to. Why ruin the student's last year at home?
Parents can make decisions so that senior year is not be so fraught with anxiety that family members begin to avoid each other. And, I hate it when my students cry.
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Consent on campus: College, university bring messaging home during 'red zone' - StCatharinesStandard.ca
Midlands Technical College, University of South Carolina clear path to train more engineers - Columbia Star
HUDSON SCHOOL NEWS: Students planning to register at Texas college, university must take TSI - Lufkin Daily News
University of Cincinnati Bearcats football team moves up in weekly AAC power rankings - Cincinnati.com
UK wants Wandale Robinson to be 'headliner' of 2019 class. Top recruit discusses finalists. - The State
Building Interaction Into Your Online Course
You've already decided that you're ready to author online and you have your content organized. Now it's time to face the ultimate challenge in online learning - making it interactive! Interaction in online courses is a two-edged sword.
Prepping for the new SAT I
On March 12, 2005, high school juniors across the country were the first to take the new SAT I test, the standardized testing used in the college admission process. The test is 3 hours and 45 minutes, instead of just 3 hours, and contains a third writing section.
Oxford Student Convicted of Child Pornography Offenses
An Oxford student has been convicted of downloading child pornography and has been placed on the Sex Offenders' Register for five years. However, the student continued to study in Oxford for several weeks after his conviction and did not inform his college or the University.
Outstanding Business Professors at WVU, Part 3
Students appreciate teachers that can show them how the material they teach can be applied to the real world.Dr.
Online Education: 57 Leading Institutions
Getting a college degree today is easier than ever before thanks to the number of institutions offering distance learning opportunities. Whether you are pursuing a undergraduate, graduate, or doctorate degree you can choose from scores of degree granting schools.
Whats behind the Explosive Growth in Distance Learning?
There is a ground swell of support globally to support the growth of distance learning. Market research firms, government agencies, public and private companies, and even venture capital firms - those companies that invest in new and emerging businesses - all agree that distance learning's future is very bright, and a good investment opportunity as well.
Caribbean Single Market and Economy - Who Says UWI isn't Doing Enough?
The University of the West Indies (UWI) has often been viewed as a long-standing partner to Caribbean Governments in fostering integration and development of our people, and forming strategic alliances.CARICOM member states are now considering the establishment of a single market economy.
Too Much to Read and Too Little Time
I spent the better part of 17 years in and out of higher education. Eleven of those years were invested in taking classes and pursuing degrees.
Online Colleges as a Resource for Your New Career
Online Colleges require successful team buildingMost online colleges require their students to work together in teams to fulfill their coursework obligations. The University of Phoenix Online, for example, requires weekly participation and discussion questions, 4 to 5 individual assignments, and 3-4 team assignments.
Accredited Online Universities - Getting Good Grades
Taking distance education courses requires more motivation and self discipline than traditional college classes. Being able to work at your own pace can result in you falling behind on your work, if you're not self directed.
Internetworking and Security Multiple Choice Test
Personally, I dislike Multiple Choice Tests. Because they do not test the student's ability to develop and organise ideas and present these in a coherent argument.
Writing Effective (and Requisite) Essay Openers
When we write for college courses, we write for an audience other than ourselves. And it's an audience of more than one-the professor who assigned the piece.
Who Can Apply For Online Nursing Degrees?
Online nursing degrees are college degrees in the field of healthcare and nursing that are obtained via the Internet. Online nursing degrees are great ways for registered nurses to further their careers without having to take a leave of absence from their jobs.
Most Colleges Require Letters Of Recommendation
I cannot overemphasize the importance of developing strong relationships with high school teachers and counselors as early as possible. An extremely well written, all-telling letter can absolutely make the difference of being accepted or rejected to any college.
Online Education Has The Power To Transform Lives And Fulfill Dreams
Online education is a dramatic development in the advancement of distance learning. A century ago, a person without access to a school or training program could sometimes get the information that they desired through a correspondence course.
Before CHIROPRACTIC COLLEGES & SCHOOLS accept one into their educational systems, it is recommended that students have earned a degree in the arts or sciences from an accredited college or university. Chiropractic colleges and schools also require applicants to have at least 90 semester hours in English, social sciences or humanities, organic and inorganic chemistry, biology, physics, and psychology as well.
5 Leading Online Schools
The internet has revolutionized many parts of our economy. You can shop, meet people online and, now, you can take college courses for credit.
What You Should Know About Scholarships
When it's time to go to college, the word "scholarship" is confusing for both students and parents. We automatically think about student loans, FAFSA, tuition and fees, EFC, grants, and work study.
College Without A High School Diploma - Possible?
Don't give up your dream of enrolling in an online university just because you didn't get your high school diploma. Although most colleges (online and otherwise) require a high school diploma to enroll in any program that grants bachelor degrees, there are still several options available to students who lack the paper to prove that they graduated high school.
College Bound: The Organized Dorm
I can still remember my shopping list for my first dorm room. Years ago we kept it simple -- the must have storage staple was the old dairy crate and that was pretty much it.
|home | site map|