Forum Information

How to Market on Forums and Message Boards Without Upsetting Anyone

Believe it or not, you can market on forums and message boards without pissing anyone off. In fact, not only can you market this way, you SHOULD market this way, and I'll tell you why later in this article. But for now, I'd like to point out that the reason I'm writing this article is because someone on an affiliate forum that I frequent got kicked out of an affiliate program for spamming a message board community. He'd posted his opinion of the affiliate product in the "personal opinions" section of the board, and the moderator of the community reported him to the merchant, who then kicked him out of the affiliate program.

There's a big difference between expressing your opinion and marketing a product. Often the difference can be discerned as easily as discerning the tracking code in an affiliate URL for a product. I moderate at several forums online, and I despise dealing with spammers who think it's okay to blatantly market to my readers without contributing anything of value to my community. So here are my rules for marketing on forums without pissing anyone off.

1- Participate in a forum that allows links to your website in your signature. If the discussion board doesn't allow links in your signature, go find one that does.

2- PARTICIPATE in the forum. Ask pertinent questions. Make pithy observations. Answer others' questions if you know the correct answers. Try to post something daily, maybe more often. Just be sure that you're not just participating to get your link in front of people; participate in the forum in order to add value to the members' experiences there. The rewards in terms of higher click-through's and conversions are well worth it.

3- Include a link to your website in your signature file in a normal sized font.

That's it. That's all there is to it. How does this help your marketing? Well, you should be participating in forums at least partially related or of interest to the people who hang out in a forum. So some of them will click on your signature link just out of interest. And, if you post intelligently and often, you will gradually become recognized as an expert in that area. And that will make you more attractive. You'll begin to get link exchange requests, links, and requests for help from indviduals on the forums. This is when you know your strategy is working.

Marketing on forums and message boards isn't for the faint of heart, or for the lazy spammer. But if you're willing to make appropriate effort, you'll get appropriate returns.

The author is a full time affiliate webmaster who manages and promotes several sites in several industries. You can read more about his exploits at his Affiliate Marketing Programs Blog and see an example of one of his sites at Major Millions Jackpot

MORE RESOURCES:
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news

UKNow (press release)

Candidates for Associate Provost for Enrollment Management to Participate in Open Forums This Week
UKNow (press release)
The search committee has selected two finalists, both of whom will participate in open forums and meet with constituent groups in the UK community. Names and curricula vitae for these individuals will be posted on the search webpage 24 business hours ...

Amherst Bee

Neighborhood forums to conclude next week
Amherst Bee
Town officials next week will conclude their series of neighborhood forums, allowing residents and property owners to discuss concerns for their specific sections of the community. Initiated by the Planning Department, the 90-minute forums are meant to ...

Patch.com

3 Contra Costa Petroleum Pipeline Safety Community Forums Planned
Patch.com
The forums will include speakers from the national not-for-profit Pipeline Safety Trust, the Office of the State Fire Marshal, the California Public Utilities Commission, PG&E and Kinder Morgan. Michael Kent, the county's Hazardous Materials Ombudsman ...

MyEasternShoreMD

League announces primary election candidate forums
MyEasternShoreMD
CHESTERTOWN — In advance of the June 26 primaries, the League of Women Voters on the Eastern Shore will sponsor candidate forums for contested local offices. According to a news release, candidates will have the opportunity to respond to prepared ...

The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer

Next marijuana forums set for today, May 24
The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer
From SKNIS. The St. Kitts and Nevis (National) Marijuana Commission, chaired by Dr. Hazel Laws, chief medical officer, is committed to its mandate of hosting a series of consultative meetings throughout the federation. The purpose of these community ...

Monadnock Ledger Transcript

Forums set to plan riverwalk project
Monadnock Ledger Transcript
The Wilton Economic Development Team is planning a series of forums before moving forward with plans for continuing the town's riverwalk. A tour of the potential river walk route, scheduled for May 19, was canceled due to the weather and will be ...

The Daily Northwestern

City to hold equity forums in response to racial bias incident at Philadelphia Starbucks
The Daily Northwestern
In response to the arrest of two black men at a Philadelphia Starbucks last month, Evanston officials have organized public forums for residents to discuss the incident and reflect on greater issues of racism and discrimination in the country. On April ...

AzerNews

Documents for $60 mln signed at Kazakh-Uzbek forums
AzerNews
By Kamila Aliyeva. A number of bilateral documents between Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan were signed in the city of Shymkent within the framework of the business forum on May 22, Central Asian media outlets reported. The forum was held with the ...

and more »

1011now

LPS community budget forums scheduled for June
1011now
LINCOLN, Neb. - The Lincoln Board of Education will meet Tuesday to work on the district's upcoming budget. The Board is asking for the public's help in forming the 2018-2019 budget. There are two community budget forums coming up in June. The first on ...

and more »

The Coloradoan

Lew Gaiter to bring his Larimer County commissioner successor candidates out to voters
The Coloradoan
The forums are nonpartisan. Gaiter said the biggest snag was waiting for the end of the legislative session, where Kefalas represents Fort Collins as a state senator. Gaiter said he plans for the events to start with brief introductions of the ...

Google News

home | site map
© 2007