Forum Information

5 Proven Techniques to Build a Profitable Web Forum

You may have heard that having a web community is a great way to increase sales, customer loyalty and word of mouth for your web business. In fact a web community itself, if large enough and targeting an affluent demographic (or one that advertisers like to target), has the potential to bring in revenue. Commonly people use a web forum as the centre point for a web community. However building a popular forum is no easy task and requires patience and dedication.

Start at the beginning: Which forum software should I use?

Perhaps the least important variable, but certainly a vital aspect, is the forum software you choose. I came to settle on Invision Board as my favourite forum of choice. Over the years I became very familiar with Invison Board functions so it would take a lot for me to switch to different forum software. Unfortunately the team at Invision recently stopped offering a fully functional free version and the most current free version has limitations on numbers of users. I'm a strong supporter of Invision so I still recommend using the free service and then paying to upgrade once your board is large enough to warrant it. Chances are with your forum being that popular means you can justify the fee anyway.

The other top quality free forum out there is phpBB which is the open source offering. I haven't used this myself but with Invision no longer being free I can see this being the main player for all small business forums. I see this forum everywhere so I think you can take that as a strong endorsement.

Another popular choice, especially for large companies that can afford the fee is vBulletin. This seems to the professional forum of choice for those with the moolah to afford it. I only played with this forum many years ago when they had a limited use free version (in fact it was the first forum I ever installed). It's definitely a top forum with a great design, but you pay for it.

As I said which forum software you choose is not too important. You are going to have to learn to use at least one, so choose the one that satisfies your criteria and then get playing. If the idea of installing forum software is daunting to you then I suggest you look at the installation services most forum businesses offer. You can pay a small fee and one of the staff or community members will install the software for you. There are also remotely hosted forums where you don't install any software at all on your server but instead use one hosted by the forum company. Note this often either costs money or is advertiser supported so you might have some icky banners or other ads streamed across your forum. I recommend you host the forum on your own server because you get control, ownership and better search engine benefits.

How to attract and keep members

Regardless of which forum software you choose the hardest part of building a community is getting members, and members that stick around. Obviously your forum should be targeted to your business niche or target market if it's not a business site.

Picking the niche area you target is vital for success, and the individual forums you create for your community must clearly represent the purpose of your community. However this is where some lessons can be learnt. At first when you start building categories and individual forums you might get carried away with all the interesting forums you can create. You dream of your users lapping it up and talking away about every little area of interest you can come up with. This is the first major mistake you can make. You end up creating way too many forums that have no topics in them. Even if you do manage to bring some quality visitors to your site, they hit your forum and see an empty place and then move on. No one feels compelled to join an empty forum.

But you may ask then, how can you go from having an empty forum to one filled with topics when no one wants to get things started? It's a catch 22 isn't it! The number one concept to remember is that people bring in people. If visitors see topics and posts and discussions they are interested in they are more likely to contribute. It's hardest early on when you first launch but there are some tricks you can do. Here are the key pointers I've learnt to get passed this early stage of a ghost-town forum.

1. Think minimalist when building categories and forums

Look to about four forums maximum to start with, even less if possible. If you find yourself coming up with many different forum subjects, try and group them together under one forum. Then in that forum you can create individual topic posts to cater to each area. That way you are creating conversation starters and making the place look a little busier. As the forums grow and you have enough individual entries to start breaking down forums you can justify creating new ones. You can then move the existing topics into the appropriate categories and the forum doesn't start off empty.

2. As the owner you must keep contributing

This might seem obvious, but it's hard to keep motivated when week after week you create new topics and try to stimulate conversation and you seem to be talking to yourself. Personally I get the most excited when I first build the forum, thinking of all the great topics that can be discussed. Unfortunately once everything is done it does take some effort to keep writing fresh content. The only rule I can give is stick to it. Get into a routine of making a few posts everyday.

Expanding on this idea...

3. Create some fake personalities

This may seem a little dishonest, but a little trick you can use to stimulate conversation is to create a few different member accounts each with their own personality. Basically you create some fictional members and get posting. You can even have full forum conversations between your characters (just don't go insane!). Only you know which characters are fake. To everyone else it appears as if your forum is getting popular.

I had a friend take this idea so seriously that he kept profile notes on each character such as age, sex, personality type, occupation etc so whenever he made posts he made sure to get into character first. It's like forum acting.

This method again takes dedication because you need to keep logging in with each character and making new posts. However it can be MUCH more effective than if it was just you making all the posts as your own identity. It looks sad when the webmaster is chatting away to no one, but not quite as sad when Jim, Katie, Chris and Jane are having conversations even if they really are all controlled by the webmaster.

4. Publish content

There are sites available such as Ezine Articles that have articles you are allowed to publish on your site provided you follow their terms of use policy (which usually means you publish the articles exactly as they are and keep all links intact). The authors of these articles make them free because they get good promotion if their article is widely published. Note that because these are free articles you will most likely find that you are not the only site out there with the content.

If you want unique content you may have to pay for it and consider hiring columnists. With MTGParadise.com we had such a good community that many of our members were happy to write articles and reports for free. They enjoyed writing and seeing their article published. It's not easy to generate free unique articles this way especially early on before you have a community running, so it might be necessary to throw around a little cash and buy some articles.

If you can find content relevant to your market and distribute it to your community you have a good way to stimulate conversation and make your forum look a little busier.

5. Recruit your mates and spread the word

This is harder than you'd think. If you are like me, most of my closest friends are too busy or not really the forum community types so they won't help out much. Generally though you should have a few friends that are interested in the topic of your forum and they might help out with a post every now and then. Don't put to much pressure on them and be thankful for anything they contribute. You don't want to get carried away trying to get your forum off the ground that you lose your friends because you constantly pester them to make posts or join up.

As a general rule, don't be shy; tell everyone you know about your forum. But only do it once in a polite manner. Say you are inviting them to check out something you have created and that you want their valuable opinion before you officially launch. This "sneak peek" will make your friends and family feel special because you are demonstrating that you value their opinion so they will be more inclined to check out your site.

You can put a note in your signature file in your email about your new community, make a few posts at newsgroups that focus on your target market and hit some other complimentary (not competitor) forums to advertise your new forum. Remember always be courteous, follow rules and don't come across too desperate whenever you promote your forum. All this will come across negatively and harm your chances of new members signing up.

Don't give up

The most important tip I can give you to grow your community is to not give up. Even though YoungActivist.com is sitting out there all alone with no members and very old content I still value the site. While I didn't achieve the success I wanted off the bat, I haven't given up and hope that one day can I can get the site growing again.

Sometime after months, maybe even years of making new posts, adding content and spreading the word, you will find that your forum has grown to have a few hundred members, a handful of devoted regulars and no longer requires daily injections of posts from you. You reach a critical mass and your community moves forward without too much intervention from you. This is the holy grail of forum building because your members became the best advertising tool you could ever have. Word of mouth helps the site to continue to grow and attract new members. You can start creating new forums with confidence that they won't be empty for long. Best of all, you now have an audience that you can either leverage around your own products or services or start to derive revenue from through advertising, premium services or subscriptions etc.

By Yaro Starak
http://www.entrepreneurs-journey.com

Do you want to profit from your own successful home based Internet business?

Learn from Yaro Starak, a young entrepreneur from Australia. He works part time from home on several web based business that generate between $2,000 and $8,000 per month. Get your free articles and audio now - visit his Internet Business Blog.

MORE RESOURCES:
Governor Matt Bevin hosts community forums in Barren, Hart counties  WBKO

Governor Matt Bevin hosted a public forum in Barren County Tuesday, fielding questions for a wide range of topics, like economic development and pension ...

Newport plans public forums in wake of student assault  Turn to 10

The superintendent of Newport schools said she will be holding a series of public forums for parents this week regarding a recent assault at Thompson Middle ...

Open Forums Continue on Saturday at the USEA Annual Meeting & Convention  United States Eventing Association

The Annual Meeting & Convention is an opportunity for eventing community members to gather from all across the country to hear reports from the various ...

D128 to hold community forums on upcoming Vernon Hills and Libertyville projects  Chicago Tribune

Two community forums are scheduled for mid-December to educate residents and collect feedback about proposed construction projects at Vernon Hills and ...

Chabot-Las Positas chancellor finalists to take part in forums this week  Pleasanton Weekly

The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District has narrowed its search for a new chancellor to three finalists, all of whom are set to take part in open public ...

AnandTech Forums Holiday Swag Giveaway  AnandTech

To celebrate the end of the year and the launch of our recently-revamped forums, the AnandTech Forums community team is holding a holiday swag giveaway.

Belton: BISD hosts forums on proposed attendance boundaries  KWTX

The Belton ISD hosted the first of three public forums Tuesday evening on proposed attendance boundaries.

A telescope fan sabotaged an astronomy forum. He ended up in prison  The Verge

California telescope enthusiast David Chesley Goodyear was sentenced to 26 months in prison for a DDoS attack on an astronomy forum.

Joan T. A. Gabel, U of M presidential finalist, to participate in public forums on each campus  UMN News

University of Minnesota presidential finalist Joan T. A. Gabel will visit each of the University's five campuses.

Battle Ground forums on school boundary changes start today  The Columbian

Kindergartners at Pleasant Valley Primary pick up lunch items and pay for their meals in a hallway because the school does not have a cafeteria, as seen on ...

Arab Strategy Forum on December 12  gulfnews.com

Forum will gather experts, politicians, economists, and strategic analysts.

Godsmack, Volbeat coming to Milwaukee's Fiserv Forum April 20  Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Tickets for the show at the new Milwaukee Bucks arena go on sale at 10 a.m. Friday.

County supervisors to host forum on law enforcement's role with ICE  KGET 17

Kern County Supervisors are holding an open forum at Tuesday morning's meeting, seeking input on local law enforcement agencies' interaction and ...

Nokia 6.1 Plus forums are now open  XDA-Developers

HMD Global launched a phone called the Nokia X6 back in May of this year. Like other OEMs tend to do, they ended up rebranding the phone as the Nokia 6.1 ...

Public forum in Laconia to introduce Granite Advantage Health Care Program  The Laconia Daily Sun

LACONIA — A public forum here in January is one of several around the state that the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services will conduct ...

Nate Miller: We want our Voices page to be forum for lively debate  Greeley Tribune

Recently a longtime reader came to visit with Tribune Publisher Bryce Jacobson and me. She heard some rumors, she said, and she wanted to know if they were ...

FedEx Forum soldout for No. 3 Tennessee vs. Memphis  247Sports

The first true road game of the season will be a sold-out atmosphere for No. 3 Tennessee. The Vols (7-1) play at Memphis (5-4) at noon Eastern Time on ...

Report on elderly/disabled housing to be released at forums  WTNH.com

A new report that examines challenges in state-funded "mixed population" housing in Connecticut is set to be released.

Forum on BNSF delays: Rep. Lipinski, Metra CEO to hear from riders at Monday night meeting  Chicago Tribune

Rep. Dan Lipinski is hosting a public forum Monday night so riders can ask Metra officials about delays on the BNSF line to Aurora. Metra CEO Jim Derwinski ...

Second dairy forum Monday evening at CCE in Oriskany  Rome Sentinel

A half-year after the first forum on challenges to the 200-farm-strong dairy industry in Oneida County, another forum is planned to follow up on work since the first ...

2018 Legislative Forum being held tonight in Tippecanoe County  wlfi.com

TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI)-People across Tippecanoe County are invited to come listen and share their thoughts during the fourth annual Legislative ...

Divides emerge at forums for Austin City Council runoffs  Austin American-Statesman

Susana Almanza, a runoff candidate for Austin City Council District 3, came out swinging against her brother, Council Member Sabino “Pio” Renteria, at a forum ...

Davos 2019: Meet the Crystal Award winners  World Economic Forum

Marin Alsop, Haifaa Al-Mansour and Sir David Attenborough will be honoured at Davos 2019 for their leadership in advancing positive change.

Community wellness teams hold public forum for residents in Santa Barbara County  KSBY San Luis Obispo News

Wellness teams are holding a forum for the Santa Barbara community about caring for their families after trauma and natural disasters occur. Santa Barbara ...

Vandalia-Butler plans school forums about facilities, student learning  Dayton Daily News

Vandalia-Butler City Schools will host multiple community meetings starting in January to get input on the future of student learning and the district's facilities.

Miami Graduate Research Forum students receive top honors  The Miami Student

Students receiving top honors for Miami University's 2018 Graduate Research Forum learned in early December the results of the judges' decisions.

RICAS scores highlighted during forum aimed at improving student skills in RI  Turn to 10

The recently released RICAS scores were among the topics at a forum Monday aimed at improving student skills in Rhode Island. It is called Rhode Island ...

African Development Bank Lauds Egypt's Economic Rebound, Partnerships, at Africa 2018 Forum  africanews

African Development Bank (www.AfDB.org) President Akinwumi Adesina has saluted Egypt's strong macroeconomic performance, its improved ranking in the ...

Veronika Skvortsova to Support the Healthy Life Forum: Towards 80+  TASS

The Minister of Healthcare of the Russian Federation Veronika Skvortsova is to participate in the Healthy Life Forum: Towards 80+ which will take place in Sochi ...

Superintendent forums still not drawing a crowd  The Daily Advance

Wednesday, November 28, 2018. Paquotank resident Rodney Walton said Monday he's trying to do his part to “generate some buzz” about the search for a new ...

Menorah barred for fear of anti-Semitism? Durham hosts forum on public Christmas tree  The Union Leader

DURHAM — The Town Council is planning to hold a special meeting tonight relating to controversy surrounding a holiday tree in Memorial Park.

Revisiting Delaware law and Securities Act forum selection clauses  Reuters

Last week's reports about Uber and Lyft preparing to go public in 2019 mean that it's time to think again about whether corporations can force investors to litigate ...

L’Don Sawyer: Forum puts human face on lack of senior housing options  Arizona Daily Star

The forum was a first step in finding more housing solutions for seniors.

Open forums set for finalists in police chief search - UB Now: News and views for UB faculty and staff  University at Buffalo Reporter

Three finalists in the search for a new chief of police have been identified and they will be visiting UB next week to meet with university and community ...

Google Camera Mods now have their own Forum  XDA-Developers

It's no secret that Google's post-processing camera algorithms are among the best in the business. That's why, for the past 3 years, Google Pixel devices have ...

Virginia Senators Tim Kaine and Mark Warner meet for community forum in Hampton Roads  WTKR News 3

NORFOLK Va,- The community is invited to join Virginia senators Tim Kaine and Mark Warner in Norfolk Monday morning for breakfast and a discussion.

McChrystal, Landrieu to Speak at Insurance Information Institute's Forum on Jan. 17, 2019  PRNewswire

NEW YORK, Dec. 10, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Retired Gen. Stanley McChrystal and former New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu will address the 37th annual ...

FORUM Tip-Off Classic Scouting Video: Five-star Keion Brooks Jr.  247Sports

Keion Brooks Jr. had a big day at the FORUM Tip-Off Classic. Check out scouting video of Keion's big performance.

Gov't tells NY forum reforms will continue | Kathimerini  www.ekathimerini.com

Leading Greek officials confirmed at the 20th annual Capital Link Forum in New York on Monday that Greece is well on its way to recovery and vowed that the ...

Marin IJ Readers’ Forum for Dec. 11, 2018  Marin Independent Journal

While raising my now teenage sons in Marin County, it had never occurred to me to ask their friends' parents if there was a loaded or unsecured gun in their ...

‘Drink Wisconsinbly’ pub coming to Fiserv Forum’s Entertainment Block  WITI FOX 6 Milwaukee

MILWAUKEE -- Supporting sports teams and those who like to drink, the popular "Drink Wisconsinbly" bar announced a new pub will open at the upcoming ...

Baraboo plans community forums on racism | Regional news  WiscNews

Associated with racism after circulation of a controversial photo of local students, Baraboo is working to change public perception and address intolerance in the ...

How do we really feel about women leaders?  World Economic Forum

Over the last two years, the movement for fairness and equality between men and women has found renewed energy and conviction around the world. In public ...

WWE Performance Center Hosts "Women's Empowerment Forum"  Pro Wrestling Sheet

Trainees and employees at the WWE Performance Center took part in a seminar on Monday which was referred to as a "Women's Empowerment Forum."

World Economic Forum announces 2019 Crystal Award winners  IOL

The three awardees will be honoured at the opening session of the WEF Annual Meeting in Davos-Klosters, Switzerland, on January 21.

Safe Harbor Cohasset to hold opioid epidemic forum  The Patriot Ledger

COHASSET — The Safe Harbor Cohasset Coalition and Rep. Joan Meschino will host a forum, “Yes! In My Backyard — The Current State of the Opioid ...

UNO to host open forums with chancellor priority candidate Jeffrey Gold  KMTV - 3 News Now

Students, parents and teachers will have the opportunity to weigh in on Dr. Jeffrey Gold at two open forums being held today. Gold became the interim ...

Chelsea Forum Had Much to Talk About  thesuntimesnews.com