Forum Information

Forums: How DO You Get People to Post!?

Running a web forum is no easy task. If you own one, you know how labor-intensive it is. You spent hours perfecting your forum. You thought up dozens of categories and topics. You customized the interface, set user permissions, sent out welcome emails. Tons of members signed up and logged in. Time for the payoff, right? Wrong. People log in to your forum daily, yet no one posts. Why?

1. People are lazy. They'd rather be entertained than contribute.
2. People feel shy. They're afraid of saying the wrong thing or initiating a conversation.

Don't get discouraged because nothing's happening on your website forum. The time has come to take matters into your own hands. How?

You're going to have to do some marauding as other people.

"What? Sneak around and pretend to be a random forum poster?"

YES.

As an experiment, I set up a posting forum "just to see what would happen." I chose to make it a rant and rave forum; everybody's got something to complain or cheer about, right? It took me the entire Memorial Day weekend, minus time out for evening social events, to set this thing up. Within two weeks of putting it out there, I had ninety members. NINETY! That's a pretty decent-sized group. You'd think there would be lots of chatter, right?

No! No chatter. Out of ninety, want to know how many people took the time to post? FOUR. One of them was a friend of mine, who I begged to help me out... and even she only posted twice.

So, that was when I committed the dastardly deed. I began logging in as other people, posting fake stories and perspectives. This got confusing after a while. Was Jenny the all-lowercase poster, or the girl with bad grammar? Was I logged in as Joe D., but telling stories from some girl named Mitsy's perspective again?

It didn't matter that much, as this was only a test anyway. But it did work. Once I got the conversational ball rolling, other people joined in. I even had to be controversial, pass some remarks that would incite people emotionally and jar them to action. That got folks posting as well.

Here's a related story, but with an unfortunate ending. A girlfriend of mine joined an online group of adoptive moms. The forum leader, an experienced adoptive mother herself, generously offered an information exchange forum where all the moms could converge and discuss.

A few months in, members noticed some weirdness on the forum, so they went snooping. What they learned was that the forum leader had multiple forum personalities! She would log in as one person, ask a question, log back in as herself, then answer it.

All hell broke loose. A mass of email back-and-forths ensued. The forum leader cracked under the accusations and started spamming every member, begging for forgiveness. It was utter pandemonium. My friend relayed the scandal to me.

"That's so dishonest!" she said of the marauding forum leader.

Dishonest? Well, maybe a little sneaky, yes. But in rating Shameful and Admonishable Networking Behaviors on a scale of 1 to 10, how much of a sin is it to incite constructive discussions for the betterment of a group?

When you consider that, 1. the woman wasn't being paid, and 2. she only wanted to help other moms along in the confusing process, it really wasn't such a terrible thing that she did.

I pointed out to my friend that this lady had smartly tapped into a marketing and communication tactic that's widely used and really works.

Who do you think sought advice from Erma Bombeck, Dear Abby and Emily Post before they ran well-known columns? No one did... because no one new who they were yet! So with each new release of their respective publications, internal writers had to pretend to be advice seekers, fabricate dilemmas, and then solve them.

Now, if your public forum is clearly a conversational hot spot, yet you're still logging in as five different people because "you're becoming attached"... well, I'd say that's a problem. Consider getting out more.

But if things are totally stagnant on your forum, this is really your only alternative to get it going.

I know a woman on one Ryze forum who asks nearly every day, "Why aren't you guys posting?"

No one ever answers her. That's because she's not giving anyone an incentive. That incentive must be emotional, and it must come in the form of riveting conversation. If there isn't any existing conversation, well, you're just going to have to invent some.

I wish I knew that adoptive mom with all of her imaginary forum friends. Because if I did, I would tell her, "Hey! You did a good thing."

Who knows, I might even have hired her to run my web forum.

Copyright 2005 Dina Giolitto. All rights reserved.

Find out how crisp, targeted copywriting can make a world of difference for your business. Dina Giolitto is a Copywriting Consultant with ten years of experience. Visit http://Wordfeeder.com for free tips on branding, copywriting, marketing and more.

MORE RESOURCES:
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news

AmmoLand Shooting Sports News

All Public Forums / Social Media Should Be Open & Uncensored
AmmoLand Shooting Sports News
USA – -(Ammoland.com)- President Trump may not block even rude or obnoxious criticism from his Twitter account, because it is a public forum that is protected by the First Amendment, US District Court Judge Naomi Reice Buchwald has ruled.

The Columbian

Community forums aim to inspire historical inquiry and visions of the future
The Columbian
A pair of thought-provoking community forums in downtown Vancouver will dig deeply into these deep questions. Today at 1 p.m., gather with your neighbors from all around the county to share “Clark County Stories: Migration Stories” at the Vancouver ...

Chronicle

Forums to discuss research into Surat Basin CSG sector
Chronicle
A SERIES of community forums in Toowoomba and the Surat Basin will next week discuss the latest research into the coal seam gas sector in regional communities. Events in Toowoomba, Dalby, Chinchilla, Miles and Roma will be run by the University of ...

Washington Post

Putin just welcomed the world at his forum. Women need not apply.
Washington Post
International Monetary Fund chief Christine Lagarde was last to speak at the plenary session of Russia's glitzy economic forum, the St. Petersburg International Economic Forum, on Friday afternoon, bearing a responsibility she compared to being married ...
Li Baodong: China and Russia should really work togetherCGTN (press release)
First day of SPIEF-2018 to focus on digitalization, human capital and Russian GDP growthTASS

all 714 news articles »

Townhall

Public Forums Should Be Open and Uncensored
Townhall
President Trump may not block even rude or obnoxious criticism from his Twitter account, because it is a public forum that is protected by the First Amendment, US District Court Judge Naomi Reice Buchwald has ruled. The President's use of his Twitter ...
A judge just said Trump can't block people on Twitter. What about Minnesota's elected officials?MinnPost

all 57 news articles »

Loveland Reporter-Herald

Thompson School District to host forums on 2018-19 budget
Loveland Reporter-Herald
LOVELAND — The Thompson School District will host two community forums to discuss the current 2018-19 budget process on Wednesday, May 30, and Thursday, May 31. The forums will include an update on the proposed budget and a chance for visitors ...

The Newark Advocate

After levy failure, big turnout for Granville Schools funding forum
The Newark Advocate
Granville Schools held the first of several planned public “Funding Forums” May 23, just ahead of a regularly scheduled Board of Education meeting at which members officially voted to implement staff cuts. Both gatherings came in response to the May 8 ...

Enid News & Eagle

Reminder for Gubernatorial candidate forum Tuesday
Enid News & Eagle
Enid's rescheduled gubernatorial candidate forum is still set to go Tuesday. Sponsored by The Oklahoma Academy and originally set for Enid in February, the forum is 5:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Central National Bank Center. According to the forum agenda, ...

Citywire.co.uk

Website not secure?
Citywire.co.uk
Recently, when trying to log in here, either on iPad or laptop, I keep getting a warning that this website is not secure - has anyone else noticed this? I don't sign in very often but this makes me wary. Back to top, Quote. User Profile; View All Posts ...

MTA OKs plans for cheaper fares, public forums on Island
Newsday
LIRR president Phillip Eng on Wednesday announced plans for two customer forums to be held on Long Island in coming weeks, making good, he said, on his promise to listen to commuters' concerns. The “Customer Conversations,” as they're being called, ...

and more »

Google News

home | site map
© 2007