|Personal Technology Information|
Tips For Getting Technical Support Help Online
Sometimes your PC will start acting strange for no apparent reason or a program which you use regularly will all of a sudden stop working as it should. This can be a frustrating experience especially if you have no idea where to go for help. If this happens to you, don't panic! Here are some simple tips which may turn your frown upside down.
1. Don't assume that your problem is unique. The chances are that someone else has had that problem and it has already been solved. Google is a great place for getting technical support help believe it or not. You may have to experiment with wording your problem and refining your search, but it's worth a try. For example my Outlook email client stopped showing me the 'Subject' field when I was composing new email. As a result all of my email was going out without a subject. After a bit of experimenting with wording the problem I found the answer by searching on the phrase "Outlook subject field missing". Someone in an online discussion group had the same problem and the answer was provided. When you find good discussions groups bookmark them for future use. I have a bookmark I call Technical Support Help and it's full of great web sites.
2. The Google trick is good for lots of software but you should always try the web site of the program's manufacturer as well. Sometimes your problem is really a bug and there may be a new release or work around available. Many software web sites have FAQs, discussion lists, and help desks available that provide free support. Sometimes there is a telephone number that you can call but you may have to pay for live help.
3. There are companies that offer free general help for simple questions and then charge a sliding scale for more complicated ones. Support Freaks (www.supportfreaks.com) is a good one to try. Even if you have to pay, the rates are reasonable. Click on the "Freebies" link, under the "Quick Links" menu to see if your question is eligible for free help.
4. There are probably any number of local PC support groups that meet in libraries and other locations near your home. Some of these groups are very specific in nature and some are general. Try searching Google for "PC Support Group" or "PC User group" and the name of your town. Also check with your local librarian and computer stores. They often know of these groups.
5. Speaking of computer stores, you can often pick the brains of the more knowledgeable salespeople if you are lucky enough to find any. Many times these employees love computers so much that they will act as your big brother or sister if you need some quick help. Sometimes they moonlight as consultants at a good rate.
This ought to be enough information to get you started on the road to solving your next PC or software problem. If you are having Internet connectivity problems then your ISP is the first place to start. If you can't get online at all, and you don't think you know their phone number, think again. I'll bet that it's printed on every bill that they send you. You'll also need your account number and you can bet that it's printed on the bill as well.
Remember -- When it comes to getting technical support help, the first rule is: Don't Panic!
About The Author
Copyright © 2004 Cavyl Stewart. Discover 52 Ways To Do More With Software by signing up for my exclusive Free ecourse. Get tutorials, tips, reviews and recommendations you can use right now to help you achieve more, easier, and cheaper! 100% Original content. Visit: http://www.find-small-business-software.com/52ways.html.
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Cisco Certification: Building Your Own Home Lab, Part I
CCNAs and CCNA candidates hear it all the time: â??Get some hands-on experienceâ??. From my personal experience climbing the Cisco certification ladder, I can tell you firsthand that there is no learning like hands-on learning.
iPod - Learn How It Can Solve Everyday Problems
All over the world, people carry with them walkmans and other music devices so that they can play their favorite music as they move around from place to place. The latest thing in the portable music devices field is the iPod, which offers a higher quality of the music being played and one of the most compact design out there.
PC Owners - The Largest Criminal Gang Ever?
The year is 1981. IBM has just released the Personal Computer; a low cost machine it hopes will create a winning brand.
A Beginners Guide to Avoiding Viruses
"Aaaaaahhhhhh! I've been invaded by a virus!" Getting a virus means getting sick and no one in their right mind wants to be ill. Well, now that computers have become our close friends, it's a shock to learn that foreign bodies too can invade them with malicious intent.
10 Time Saving Keyboard Shortcuts
Time is money. And when you constantly have to divide your time between your mouse and your keyboard, your workflow rate really slows down.
Why Build Your Own Gaming Computer?
The best way to get the gaming computer that you want, that will provide optimum performance is to build your own computer. If you think you do not have the technical knowledge or are not capable of building a computer you are wrong.
4 Easy Ways to Speed Up A Sluggish PC
Computers are supposed to speed up our productivity?to help us do more in less time. What do you do when your computer is running so slow that it's keeping you from getting your work done? Before you kick it to the curb, try these easy, do-it-yourself suggestions to help your system run & perform better.
Home Electronics: The Facts About Plasma TV
Not so many years ago, homes across the country watched their favorite TV shows on a bulky floor model that took awhile to warm up before you could see the picture, didn't offer anything in the way of remote control manipulation and offered a washed out image on the TV's cathode ray tube hosted screen..
Faster Browsing Tips
IF WE say that it was mainly because of the Windows operating system that a Computer could become a personal computer it would not be an exaggeration. The revolution is still on.
Desktop Security Software Risks - Part 2
This is the third in a series of articles highlighting reasons why we need a new model for anti-virus and security solutions.Reason #2: the Desktop Security Software RisksThe risks of placing software on the desktop are such that I will be breaking this article into two parts.
How To Buy An MP3 Player
Are you looking for an MP3 player but am not sure which type and model to buy? There is a wide variety of MP3 players out there, from flash memory based players to hard drive based players. Choosing a good player from the market is no easy task.
Cisco Certification: The Most Important Cisco Study Youll Ever Do
All of us are familiar with the pyramids of Egypt. These magnificent structures have stood for thousands of years, withstanding extreme heat and other factors that would bring down an ordinary structure.
Digital Cameras: Hot Gear with the Coolest Features!
Cameras: still known for taking pictures but assumed as digital still today.We have to understand cameras are just as important today as they have always been to us.
The Many Benefits of Owning a DVR
Has This Ever Happened To You? OK..
Your first step in removing dangerous infections from your computer should be downloading a free program called Hijack This. Make sure you download the file and extract it to a directory on your hard drive, you can call it HijackThis.
Tips for Buying a PC
Buying Your PCBuying a PC that's right for you and your family is not all that simple task. More so if you're going to buy an unbranded or an assembled one.
Looking For an MP3 Player?
If you don't have an mp3 player, and even if you do, you should check out all the new stuff that's going on. I'm hoping this article will give you some idea of what kind of mp3 player you want and some tips on what to look for in an mp3 player.
How Do MP3 Players Work? Digital Audio Technology Revolutionizes Music Enjoyment
Millions have enjoyed recorded music since 1877 when Thomas Edison invented the phonograph. Then came radio, records, tapes and CD's.
Choosing a Portable MP3 Player: Part 1
MP3 players are everywhere! It seems that the number of makes and models in this market is growing daily, with features and capabilities intended to appeal to just about anyone shopping for one of these devices.MP3 players have been around much longer than the Apple iPod , but there is no arguing that this one device opened the market to a much larger customer base.
Buying a Home Theater Receiver
Buying a receiver is one of the most important decisions you're going to have to make when building your home theater. The receiver has a number of functions including; connecting and switching audio sources; connecting and switching video sources; decoding surround sound formats; amplifying an audio signal and sending it to your speakers; tuning in to radio stations; and acting as the interface between you and your home theater.
|home | site map|