|Personal Technology Information|
Your Affiliate Business - Peripherals, Software, Computers
I have always been interested in computers, but in the beginning, I would not venture any further than to the software end of learning. However, learning only the software side, and knowing nothing about the hardware side, can open you up to some costly times at the shop.
When I was selling peripherals, I happen to ask my immediate supervisor how he would go about learning the hardware side of computers. He looked at me and flatly stated, "Like I did -- learn by doing - build a computer from scratch". Well, that is exactly what I did. And I'll give you a tidbit of what I learned and the problems I encountered.
1. I tried to put a floppy drive from my old unit into my new unit. I blew up the floppy drive. Lesson learned - do not put outdated computer components into a new system. Duh!
2. Some of the old programs are not compatible with the new operating system. Did cost me some extra money and time.
3. Don't build a new system from scratch - it cost more than a manufactured unit, unless you have money to burn, want to learn more about computers, or you are going to repair computers for a living.
What do you need in a computer?
Since you are going to run your business from your computer - you want to make sure you get the best you can get, at the price you can afford.
1. When money allows, piggyback an additional hard drive onto your primary hard drive for backup. Needless to say, your primary hard drive will not last forever.
2. CD-ROM - (Self explanatory)
3. Hard drive - Make sure your hard drive has enough memory -- I have several 40 GB hard drives.
4. Floppy drive - good for quick copies of an Excel, Word, etc.
5. Printer - A quality printer. When looking for a printer, make sure it is compatible with the operating system you have and the operating system that is currently out on the market. Why? It saves you time - you may have to look for an upgrade for your printer online for the new operating system - sometimes it's free, sometimes it's not, or sometimes the computer will not support the printer with the new operating systems. They want you to buy a new unit.
6. Power supply - some suggest that the computer unit should have 300+ voltage to give your operating system a lot of snap.
7. Fans - The new units usually have additional fans to cool the CPU - which will help extend the life of your computer.
8. Networking capabilities - you'll never know when you want to add an additional unit, it's always good to be prepared - and trust me it will happen eventually.
9. If you have to buy a new operating system, I would suggest going with Microsoft XP Professional. I found it very stable, and less likely to crash.
If you start adding everything up, you will realize that I spent more on a "build it yourself unit" versus that of a complete unit. And the complete unit my friend, is definitely the way I will go from now on.
I have bought several units, and through hard knocks (rebates not received, wrong unit sent - poor customer service) - learned that the best deal that I have encountered was from Dell Computers. They offer different computer units, peripherals, printers, etc. with instant savings on select Dell PCs -- great weekly deals - reasonable prices and honored rebates. Okay, as you can see I'm sold on Dell - if you want to take a closer look you can go to my website at www.myaffiliateplace.biz to see for yourself what they have to offer.
To conclude, when you buy a computer unit online always be aware of what you're buying, what you will be using it for and with, and where you are buying it and from whom. Sometimes you have to take the hard knocks to learn, which is okay, however, when the hard knocks include an outlay of money - it's always good to have some good advise before making a decision.
Vickie J Scanlon has a BBA degree in Administrative Management and Marketing. Visit her site at: http://www.myaffiliateplace.biz for free tools, articles, ebooks, how to info, and computer software/hardware.
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
DVD The Ultimate Consumer Digital Media
Digital Video Disc or as it is sometimes referred to Digital Versatile Disc (DVD) has for the last several years been Hollywood's primary video delivery method and with good cause. This inexpensive, compact media delivers excellent video and audio quality.
Microsoft Great Plains Dexterity Customizations
Microsoft Business Solutions is on the way to popularize it's ERP systems implementation. Right now such products as Microsoft CRM and Small Business Manager (cheap version of Microsoft Great Plains, based on the same Great Plains Dexterity runtime and DYNAMICS.
Windows Task Manager in English
You use Ctrl+Alt+Del to see what's running on your PC, to close crashed programs and processes, and to check performance. You probably avoid a few processes whose names mean nothing to you, but they're essential to Windows.
Buying A PC Flat Screen Monitor
For six years, my Samsung PC 13.8 inch SyncMaster conventional monitor has served me well.
Portable DVD Players - Things To Know
In my humble opinion nothing makes a long trip easier (especially if you have kids). A portable DVD player is the ideal solution for those long plane rides or endless drives in a car to keep everyone entertained, especially when you have new hit DVD to play.
Best PC Pocket GPS
Stop Getting LostOne of the greatest uses for a pocket pc is for gps navigation. Now all those people who continually get lost can find their way anywhere with the various types of gps navigation software available.
Be Your Own IT Department
If you use a computer, you need to know more than just how to use your email and surf the web. You need to know that you are protected.
A Tale of Two Regeds
Tech support tells me to type 'regedt32' as opposed to 'regedit' to access the registry from the command line (Start > Run). I question the use of 'regedt32,' but he says to do it anyway.
Temporary Fixes to Spyware, Ad-ware, and Virus Infections
So you've got some spyware, ad-ware, or viruses on your system. For whatever reason, you are unable to get ahold of a virus detection & removal program, or a good ad-ware scanner.
Help, I Need a New HDTV! (Part 1 of 5)
Feeling overwhelmed in selecting a new TV? With all the choices these days, you may feel like, "Where do I start?!"In part 1 of our 5 part article, we discuss the importance (and a quick rule of thumb!) of selecting a screen size appropriate for your space.---Selecting the correct size TV is an important part of your purchase decision.
404 Error Pages: What Are They And How Do You Create One?
We've all seen them, you've been browsing a website and you click a link and nothing loads apart from the words '404 Error' along with the usual stuff.So what is a 404 Error page? The 404 Error page, basically informs the user that the server cannot find the file they are looking for.
Why Using an Ad Blocker Can be a Bad Idea
Ad Blocking is getting to be a common sport on the internet. Now there are some legitimate uses for an ad blocker.
Smart Apple iPod Tips and Techniques
Are you thinking of buying an Apple iPod? Or have you bought one?Almost everyone and anyone that I know seems to have bought an iPod or at least is thinking of getting an ipod for themselves or their loved ones. The iPod is just so alluring! However, do you know what you should do after buying the iPod?Most people don't.
Printing Multiple Copies of Photos
I do a holiday letter every year and send them to friends so they know what's happening with my family and I ask them about theirs. Though addressing the envelopes and such is a pain, I enjoy doing the letter and adding a wallet-sized photo of my kids to show them off.
What's the Difference Between Plasma TVs and LCD TVs?
Plasma and LCD TVs are the latest trend in home entertainment. Both offer unrivalled picture quality and resolution, while doing away with the bulkiness of the older rear-projection technologies.
Plasma TV vs LCD TV
For those seeking to buy their first flat panel TV display device, it is easy to be confused with conflicting and counter claims by different interest parties. So what is the truth in the competition between LCD and Plasma TV? Here's are some pointers before you rush out and buy your flat panel TV on impulse .
Do Higher Digital Camera Prices Mean Better Cameras?
Understanding digital camera prices makes finding the best camera value much easier. Uncovering digital cameras best buys is easier if we know what's available within various price ranges.
Keeping Passwords Secure
As the web has evolved, so have the methods of collecting personal information. A large number of websites require visitors to register to gain access or participate.
Flash Your nVidia Video Cards BIOS
You will need the following:1. 1.
Compare MP3 Players for the Coolest Features and Sweetest Deals
How can you compare mp3 players to be sure you're getting the best features and price? You've checked some mp3 player ratings, and they're helpful. But iPod reviews and ratings don't answer all your questions.
|home | site map|