Top 5 Dog Health Problems
The most common dog problems:
Dog Owner's commonly ask me the same questions repeatedly. This article aims to help dog owners prevent and find information about the most common dog health problems. Understanding the basics of these problems will go a long ways to helping your canine friend live a long healthy life.
1. By far the most common question I get asked from dog owners is a desperate call about their dog's vomiting. Vomiting can have many causes, but the most common cause is eating garbage, or wolfing down food. In most cases the easiest cure is to withhold food from your dog for 24 hours, but continue to give water. Then after 24 hours, start by giving small meals again. This rest period will allow the stomach to heal. If vomiting continues after this you should see your veterinarian.
2. The next most common question I get asked are reproduction questions. These questions range from breeding their dog, questions about whelping, and about raising puppies. While it is beyond this article to cover everything, here are some basics to keep in mind. Dogs come into heat every 6-7 months which is the time to breed them. The gestation length ranges from 59-63 days. Breeds that can have trouble with whelping are the pug, bulldog, Chihuahuas, Boston terriers, and the Pekingese. Whelping, the act of giving birth, can take from 2 to 24 hours. With several hours in-between the time puppies are passed.
3. Third, are questions about skin problems. These questions range from masses and bumps, to scratches and rashes. Whenever you find a mass on your dog it is important that you show it to your veterinarian. Most masses are benign lipomas, which are fatty tumors. Another common tumor of female dogs are tumors of the mammary gland. You can greatly decrease the risk of your female dog getting a mammary gland tumor by spaying your dog. One of the most common skin tumors owners are likely to see are Mast cell tumors. Mast cell tumors can appear anywhere on the body, and can range from benign to very aggressive.
4. Fourth are questions about the musculoskeletal system. Two possible causes of limping in dogs are arthritis and torn anterior cruciate ligaments. Arthritis is common in older dogs. To treat arthritis try some joint supplements like chondroitin. For dogs with torn anterior cruciate ligaments, surgery is needed. The anterior cruciate ligament is a ligament in the knees of dogs. Signs of this injury is when the dog is running and all of a sudden the dog whimpers in pain and starts to limp on its rear leg.
5. The fifth most common question is about allergies. Many dogs suffer from allergies. The most common clinical signs are the dog chewing its paws, reddened skin, and scratching. For a definitive diagnosis allergy testing can be done by your veterinarian. Allergies are often treated by antihistamines and in severe cases steroids.
With a little knowledge pet owners can be more proactive in the health care of their pets. With greater knowledge you can help your veterinarian come up with the best treatment plans for your pet, and are able to give a more complete history on your pet which can lead to a quicker and more accurate diagnosis.
For the complete TOP TEN LIST of questions visit my website at http://www.free-online-veterinarian-advice.com/doghealth.html
Chris Suckow, DVM, lives and works in Los Angeles, CA
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Author of Keep Fleas OffStill using all the chemicals you can find to combat those fleas? Have you done everything outside of trying to shoot the fleas off the dog? You are not alone, there are an estimated more than 50 million households with pets, and yes, most are not just fighting the war against these pesky parasites, they are losing the war. Most people do not realize just how devastating the losses are.
Dog Health Conditions and Terms You Should Know...
Some Dogs like Boxers unfortunately, are prone to several potential health problems such as:- Skin allergy- Food allergy- Cancer- Hip dysphasia- Bloat- Heart ailments- Hypothyroidism- Fleas- WormsKnowing what they are will help you to better monitor your pet's health and to gather the pertinent information, in case of an illness, that would assist your veterinarian to administer the correct diagnosis and treatment. Below are some common afflictions of Boxers.
Quickstart Guide to Making Your Own Pet Food at Home
As a pet owner, no doubt you want to give your dog or cat the best care possible. And caring for your pet means feeding him the best diet you can.
How To Keep Your Cat Healthy - Your Guide to Cat Diseases and Conditions, and How to Cure Them
Even with the best care, cats can become ill. Sometimes this means a simple "kitty cold," at other times the disease might have a more lasting or even fatal result.
How to Train Your Puppy to Sit
Bringing home a new puppy, ushers in a wave of joy and excitement in the old and young alike. The innocent eyes and cute antics of this new member of the family immediately starts attracting a lot of love and affection from all quarters.
Housebreaking Dogs and Puppies - A Step by Step Guide to Potty Training Your Dog or Puppy
If you're reading this I think it's safe to assume that you either currently own, or are about to buy, a dog or puppy and don't want to come home to nasty "surprises" on your living room floor. That's why I'm writing this step by step guide to potty training your adult dog or puppy.
7 Good Reasons to Have Your Cat Spayed or Neutered
Every year, many cat owners decide to get their cat spayed or neutered. This decision is made for several different reasons, all of which illustrate why it is such a good idea.
The Case AGAINST Raw Frozen Pet Foods
For some 25 years I have alerted the public to the dangers of exclusively feeding heat processed foods. Companion animal feeding has progressed - actually digressed - from table scraps and real foods the family could spare to today's "100 % complete" processed foods in primarily kibble form, with some canned and semi-moist also available.
Veterinarians Set Record Straight
Most pet owners have become very educated about their pet and the health of their pet. Still, there are many others who tend to believe in the old wives tales and myths that have been passed around for some time now.
Small Dog Travel Guide
Advice!!!-Pet products that are useful, fun and enjoyable will make the pet and owner equally happy, thus taking the time to search for the right products are important.-Treats are a good way to relieve stress and fight boredom during long periods of sitting and waiting around inside a small dog carrier.
Dog Training: Teaching Your Dog Self-Control
Is your dog one of those that pulls at his leash constantly whenever there is a distraction? A child walks by, or he sees another dog? If a cat or small animal scoots by, or if a car wooshes in front of him, does he tug to get closer? Is he hard to manage while visiting the vet, or when you have visitors?If the answer is yes to any of these questions, then your dog training needs to include self-control measures. A child is taught similar things when they are growing up (don't put your hand on the stove, or you can't have a cookie unless you ask, first), a dog requires the same kind of love and attention, too.
"On Trust" & "Paid For": One of the Oldest Dog Tricks that Never Fail to Entertain
"On Trust" & "Paid For" for are one of the oldest dog tricks that afford as much entertainment as anything a dog can do since the early 1900s. It is not the easiest trick to be taught but can be elaborated on and presented in several different forms to impress most people.
Tips on Sexing Discus Fish
Do you have some adult discus fish and want to know whether they are male or female. In this article I'm going to share with you some of the tips and techniques you can use to determine the gender of your discus or those you wish to buy.
Do They Really Need a Dog Bed?
When Lucky was starting to show signs of aging, we were concerned about her comfort. She would have a hard time getting up in the morning.
A Pregnant Stray Cat Adopted You - And Now What?
It happens all too often. A family or cat friend gets adopted by a stray cat.
Toys are GOOD for your dog
Did you know that dog toys are actually good for your dog, and not just an indulgence on the part of the owner?There are all kinds of uses for different types of toys.First, starting as puppies, toys give your dog a distraction from other would-be toys like your couch or your favorite pair of shoes.
What to Do When Your Puppy Dog Is Chewing Everything In Sight
A puppy wanting to chew makes you want to scream! Do remember that, like children who search their new world with their hands, so do puppies search with their mouths. While there is a difference between exploratory chewing and problem chewing, the problem chewing is sometimes related to their need for attention, food or tension release.
Using Electrolytes to Avoid Equine Dehydration
For heat dissipation and body cooling, a horse trotting at 11.2 mph loses about 3.
RecoveryPets.Com Helps Recover Lost Pets
Making our lives better includes protecting our families, and also included in this category is the family pet. This once wild animal has become an integral part of the modern family, and there are many laws devoted to stopping abuses to pets.
Cold Weather Pet Care
As we find ourselves in the middle of winter, it's important to pay particular attention to our pets when they're outside. When temperatures get into the twenties and below, with whipping winds, pets can suffer serious health problems.
|home | site map|